Friday, April 10, 2009

On Frogs and Such

Zo received a tadpole/frog kit for her birthday last year in June. Unfortunately, her mother didn't check the availability dates for the live shipment of frog eggs because they don't ship until November. However, because there was a freakish lack of frog eggs at the source this year, she didn't get them until February. Nice gift, huh?

Anyway, we have 1 tadpole who just grew some bitty legs so we're pretty excited about the whole thing. Zo and Dani wanted me to bring them into class to show everyone. So I did today. I prepared a 30 minute lesson including weird frog facts, a brief explanation of the frog life-cycle and a little art project. It was so much fun! I think that the kids enjoyed themselves too. What is even better is that their teachers didn't mind that I brought the littles with me. Q was in the baby-backpack, E played around and C participated in the lesson. I couldn't have asked for a more enjoyable time.

It was really satisfying to spend time with the girls in their environment. Observing them in school cemented my inklings that they are blossoming into well-mannered, sweet, intelligent and interesting individuals. I am so in love with them. (And of course with the other little people in my life.)

When I was done with my lesson, one of the children in D's class asked me if I had any more pets to bring in. I wish I did. (We have dogs, but I'm thinking that wouldn't be a good idea...) Now, I totally want to get a freaky pet like a tortoise (ok, I've wanted a tortoise since that one lunch I had in a garden in Belgium where a tortoise roamed free. I thought that was the coolest thing ever.) or maybe a lizard of some sort. I don't know if I could do a tarantula. I'd like a snake, but I know that if I did that, certain beloved individuals would NEVER step foot in my house again and because I love them more, I'll refrain. A chinchilla would be coolish. Not a ferret though. While T and I were on our firstish dates, we were playing card games with friends and I was kneeling on the floor in a skirt. Unbeknownst to me, there was a ferret that ran loose in the apartment where we were. I found out about this lovely pet when it crawled under my skirt and caressed my bottom. I jumped up and screamed, totally embarrassing myself, almost ripping my bestest skirt ever (wish it still fit...) and losing that hand in cards. No, a ferret won't do. Nor will a bird, of any sort. We tried the bird thing when I was a teenager living at home. Paco Bob systematically bit each person in the house until we all hated his every feather, squawk and screech. We gave him up to someone who would love him more. And she did. I'll have to do a little research on this topic. That and a little convincing...(giggle) Hmmm...the possibilities...

2 comments:

FamilyKolbaba said...

In case you weren't referring to me, I also would not come over if a snake resided at your house. So, thanks for the restraint.

debbie f said...

yeah, I thought you were just bluffing when you said at the SIS crop recently, "I don't do anything in the kids classes. ever. nothing." Riiiiight!!

I knew better then. I was thinking, hmmm...I remember you volunteering in Mrs. Gaches' class.

And now here's proof!! =)

Five kids hasn't kept you from being the total and complete mom both at home and in their classroom!