Monday, January 12, 2009

New Hobby

When I was a girl, my mom lovingly stitched these gorgeous season girls. They hung in our hallway for years and years.


When I got married, I found them in the attic (horror of all horrors!) and quickly swiped them to hang in my own home. They now reside in a special place near the older girls' room. I love them just as much today as I did when my mom completed them forever ago.

These sweeties inspired me to take up floss and needle and begin embroidering. So this is my very first embroidery project...



Relief Society is the name of the women's organization at my church. I made this bag to carry all my stuff on Sunday. The letters came without directions in a SIStv kit so I didn't realize that if I touched them with the iron (after I adhered them) they would melt all over everything. Hence the reason for the "grunged" letters. The "Y" was really bad so I just put my signature over the green mess. It seems to cover it up nicely.

By the way, don't you just love those Helly Kitty socks that D is modeling? Adorable. Wish they came in mongo-size.

Here is a close-up of my embroidery since this is what it is all about.


I doodled my own design, copied it onto the fabric and 2 naptimes later, voila! Done! It was so much fun. Like doodling with string. I'm totally hooked.

On another note, I hope that you all had a wonderful weekend! We watched Hulk with my bro and sis. I thought that the movie was an excellent medium for getting more work done on Q's stocking, but other than that, I wasn't too interested. I do remember a lot of roaring and a lot of green. Oh, and the shooting was pretty pervasive too. I also worked on a few scrappy projects (funk, funk and more funk) that I'll post later this week. And I went to Hobby Lobby with Becky to get a few necessary (and a few unnecessary) supplies. Other than that, it was pretty quiet around here. I also got quite a few more very kind comments and emails that I've so enjoyed reading. I am deeply touched by all of you. Another big thank you. My spirits are soaring and my knees are brushed off. New opportunities are calling me and because of all of you, I'm ready. Thank you. I just hope that I can someday do the same for you. Have a great day.

4 comments:

Lucy Edson said...

Those embroidered girls remind me of some my grandmother made - how wonderful that you have these to use in your house.

And what a creative way to make a happy mistake! Those are the best ones! Your bad turned out lovely! My dd loves HK, too! Glad you are feeling better!! :D

Anonymous said...

oh I love that you hung those girls. They are so precious..

and that bag is so cute Ilove how you "saved" it with even more creativity! And I adore that embroidered tree, what a cute design, in just 2 naptimes? wow!

and thank you for your kind words in my blog! You are so sweet!

Unknown said...

Bethany_i've not been to visit for a while-just wanted to check in onyour wee boy-and then read your DT news-and just want to say your description of having failed is SOOOO wrong. Your work is fantastic-the failure is with the company-for being narrow, short sighted and downright mean!
Keep doing what you do. I LOVE it!

Becky said...

Still love your bag, Brisa has the same adorable HK socks (don't you love Target?), and our Saturday afternoon was such a nice break for me--thanks!