Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Treasuring the Doing

This quotation by Anna Quindlen in On Being Mom has haunted me ever since I first read it.

"But the biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make while doing
this. I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that
the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the
three of them sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set
on a summer day, ages 6, 4 and 1. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and
what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they
slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next
thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and
the getting it done a little less."


Lately, I've been trying to notice those little things that make our lives meaningful. The small toy set-ups left for me by the sweeties, the clean counter, the smell of the laundry room. I do not want to be so wrapped up in the completion of the journey that I forget there is pleasure to be had in the journey itself.

Perhaps that is why I enjoy scrapbooking so much. I want to revel in the moment. I've noticed lately that the pages that I am so passionate about completing are just that: moments. I don't find as much pleasure scrapping the birthday parties, the holidays and the weddings. Of course, they are important to life's progression, but my true love is the snippets that make each individual in my family important. I love to look at a picture and see a piece of soul. And I like to take that small piece of soul and represent it visually.

I want people to look at my art and see a piece of the subject co-mingled with a piece of me. Because that is really how I view everything around me. Everything that surrounds me from my family, to my home, to my friends is a part of me and makes up who I am. Sometimes in the rush of life, I forget that. But in those quiet times of personal reflection, I can see how everything is infinitely connected. I can see those silvery thin spiderweb-like ties that bind us all. And I remember how important truly living in the moment really is.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I like you! Beautiful post...

Anonymous said...

I've loved reading your blog today!

I saw Those boots and it made me smile because my Bella has those and loves wearing them.