Wednesday, July 30, 2008

On Becoming a Designer

Kataroo, (I believe her real name is Katy? Correct me if I'm wrong!) a member of Bad Girls, posed this question in the message board and I thought that I would dedicate a post to this topic because I feel that my experience may help another awesome up-and-coming designer. Take what you will from this and discard whatever you don't find helpful. You may disagree with me and that's okay. This is simply my experience.

Here is her question:

So I'm wondering if you gals can share some tips info trade secrets etc with us.
It is my dream as I am sure for many of us, to do som
ething creative to design for a DT or Manufacturer or something like that. So how did you do it, other than your most obvious creative talents....how did you get yourself recognized, known? How did you apply, how do you sell yourself....looking for tips on how to submit, apply etc....

Before I begin, I'd like to show you one of the layouts that I submitted to a design team search at the beginning of my career. (I did not make this design team, by the way.) Visit my gallery, if you are unfamiliar with my current work. This can give you an idea of how much my style has evolved in the last year.


I discovered the whole design world in August 2007 when Kaity pointed out a new kit club on her blog. I went to the site and read that they were looking for a design team. Up until that point, I had no idea that such a thing existed. So I scanned my very best layout, wrote a little paragraph and submitted my application. I was rejected. I was heartbroken. Once I discovered pubcalls, I applied to every single DT advertised. For a month and a half I was rejected at least 25 times. It was really hard and I almost gave it up multiple times. Luckily, I have a rocking husband.

By chance, I met someone who owned her own kit club and I told her that I really wanted to be on a design team, but I felt that I needed exposure so I asked her if I could be a guest designer. I told her that I would pay for my own kit. She informed me that she was currently accepting applications for a small DT and encouraged me to apply. I did. I was turned down for the design team, but she offered to make me the guest designer (and she paid for my kit.) I readily accepted, of course. I also asked her what I needed to do to make myself more competitive. She responded with a few suggestions like blogging, having an online gallery, and being active on messageboards. (I did those things.) I worked hard on my guest position hoping that it would lead to a permanent spot. I didn't. And I'm totally okay with that. (I'll chat a bit about rejection later.)

I soon noticed that most of the scrappers who were winning positions worked in the 12x12 format. Until that point, I was a die-hard 8.5x11 gal. I'm not discouraging 8.5x11 scrappers, but I found more success when I opened myself to try new things.

The next team that I tried for was Scrap Shanty and applying the suggestions I had received, I made it! I was thrilled. I continued to apply to various teams, without success. However, when I learned who made the DT of a team I wanted, I would visit their galleries and blogs and study their work. I also emailed an owner of an illustrious kit company and asked her advice. She, being the sweetest woman alive, emailed me back with a list of traits that she looks for when selecting a designer. I quickly incorporated her suggestions (as I have all of the suggestions) and haven't looked back since.

I learned that a designer needs to go above and beyond the normal (for lack of a better word) scrapper. She needs to be daring. Willing to try new things and be up for challenges. She needs to add that extra something. I also learned that a designer who mainly works on the internet has to have an awareness of photo editing. She must be able to take really good pics of her work. The most beautiful layout is useless if the picture isn't of good quality. Look at how some of your fave designers set up their work and emulate them.

You need to be able to work under tight deadlines and be responsible. Of course, there are always times that life accidents happen and you will miss a deadline, but those times should be the exception, not the rule.

Be willing to take suggestions and constantly try to improve yourself. When someone tells you something about your art, don't immediately get defensive. Perhaps there is something that you could do better. Try not, however hard it is, to place your entire self-esteem on your pages. As an artist, you must be able to separate yourself in order to improve. It isn't easy, but it is possible.

Always be classy. Always be positive. No one wants a crabby patty representing them. (We all have bad days, I know.) Be friendly. This community is tight knit and it is much more fun if we can all play in the sandbox nicely. I believe that the very best artists and designers are the kindest. Take a look at the Bad Girls team, all of those women are so amazingly kind and supportive. They are confident in their abilities as artists and can therefore encourage others. That, my friends, is real class.

A designer needs to be true to herself and her style. If you love clean and graphic layouts, you should do that. If you like vintage, do that. If you try to be someone else, it will show in your work and the passion will be gone. There is already a great Becky Higgins and a great Ali Edwards. You don't need to be them. You need to be yourself. And then, even if you don't land a DT position, you will still love what you are doing which is really the most important thing.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with learning from other artists. When I first began getting serious about designing, I wanted to learn how to doodle so I studied Bonnie, a former Bad Girls designer. I took one of her layouts and shamelessly copied. (When I posted the layout online, I gave her full credit so don't worry.) This allowed me to experiment and learn. I did the same type of thing with other artists. I love how Iris cuts out pieces of pattern paper so I incorporated this idea into my own art. When I look at a layout in an online gallery or magazine, I study it. I will dissect it into its component parts so I can learn how it was made. This habit has proved to be invaluable to me. I take what I like and morph it into my style. Recently, I was browsing the Bad Girls gallery and came upon a few layouts by Lilith that really inspired me. I studied them and filed away the ideas to use at a later date. I do this all the time.

Get active in the community. Join messageboards. Participate in challenges. There are so many wonderful sites out there. By challenging yourself, you gain exposure and you grow as an artist.

Finally, keep trying. I am so glad that I didn't give up. Really, there is nothing to lose except perhaps the time it takes to fill out an application. No one has to know where you apply. For a long time, I didn't tell anyone except my husband because I just didn't need that added pressure. Now, I am little bit more open, but I still am cautious about divulging.

And don't forget, just because you don't make a team, doesn't mean that you aren't talented. Just before I landed the Bad Girls gig, I was rejected to 3 teams. They just weren't the right fit for me. Cari, whom I consider my designer mentor, told me that once and it changed the way I view rejection. At first, each rejection was like a slap in the face and I would mope for days. I was really unbearable! Poor T! Then, I realized that Cari was right and I started feeling grateful for the teams that I didn't make because it just meant that it wasn't my place. There might be something even more wonderful waiting for you in the wings. You just never know.

Which leads me to another point. When you do apply for teams, make sure that you really love their product and that your heart beats a little faster when you think of being on that team.
Your passion will show through in your application. For example, ever since I discovered Luxe, I wanted to design for them. I simply LOVE their products. The style is totally me. When I saw that they were looking for a design team, I was so excited I let out a whoop! And when Wendy called me to ask me to be on Bad Girls, I was so excited-nervous that I almost couldn't speak. I'm sure that she thought that I was socially backward. On the flip side, it is very difficult to use products that you don't love. It will frustrate you as a designer and you won't do your best work.

Now a little bit about publishing. My advice on that is
1. Don't give up.
2. Submit everything, you have nothing to lose. Scrap Submit is a great place.
3. Find a magazine that you love and focus. I love Somerset Memories so I submit everything to them. You probably love a certain magazine because it just fits your style. In my opinion, you are more likely to be pubbed by a magazine who is looking for your style. For example, I enjoy reading Simple Scrapbooks, but my style with all the embellies and stuff just isn't what they are looking for. Why kick against the pricks?
4. Not everyone needs to publish. I haven't pubbed much and I am still a very successful designer. (When I use the word successful, it is synonymous with happy.)
5. Publishers are looking for certain colors and styles too. Look at a magazine page, the layouts that sit next to each other coordinate. Sometimes your page, no matter how cool it is, won't look good next to the one they already picked.

That is about all I can think of right now. I'm sure that I'm missing something dreadfully important. I'd be more than happy to answer any more questions. So ask away!

5 comments:

Becky said...

Every time I read a new post of yours I am so so grateful to have met you! It's 9:30 and Jeff wasn't feeling good so I'm not getting around to the last-minute craziness that I was contemplating (so you can have your box back--lol) but I'm glad I thought about it and I'm glad I did a 12x12 layout. I'm still not convinced that 12x12 is my style and I'm OK with that too. I love mini-albums and smaller pages and maybe someday I'll find the niche for that :)

In the meantime I am grateful for a friend who can honestly and kindly critique my work, get excited about it, think I'm creative, and like me whether or not I ever jump in 100% to the design team thing...you are awesome!

I am writing a little novella here (that's redundant isn't it?!)--but basically I want to say that I am proud of you and your successes and I am truly blessed to have a creative, intelligent, amazing friend in you.

Zoa said...

wow Bethany- what an AWESOME post! I loved reading all your insights and about your journey into DT's! I hope everyone comes and reads it- it is so encouraging and informative!!!

Congrats on getting on the Bad Girls DT- that is so amazing and awesome for you!!!! I can't wait to see your stuff :)

Stay Funny said...

Thanks Bethany! Thats really great advices and it's great to see your journey and how your blooming as a designer!

Kataroo said...

A HUGE THANK_YOU that was so very helpful and just plain old interesting to read!!

Margaret said...

Love this post having been on a DT before I have gone through many of these things. I would love to see you do a post with some of the suggetions you were given for those people.