Monday, June 7, 2010

We Must Carry it With Us

This is the season for major change. Graduation, moving, vacations. Many people are embarking on new adventures. My children are all moving from one grade to another and one of them is starting kindergarten in the fall. All of this has prompted me to reflect on a project that I created a few months ago, but didn't have a chance to share yet.

I've entitled this piece: We Must Carry it With Us or We Find it Not.

The background boards are Cosmo Cricket lacing cards that I purchased ages ago. The girls' dresses are My Mind's Eye, 7 Gypsies and an unknown pink flower paper. I drew each of the girls to resemble one of my daughters (and myself) and each one is complete with symbols that reflect on their personalities.

Sweet Lyssie...



Sweet Zozo...


Sweet Dani...


And of course, myself...


I made this piece in response to a concern that I have as my daughters grow and develop and take a bigger place in society. Because we live in a world that rages war on women's bodies, one of my main concerns for them is that they develop a healthy body image. I want my daughters to rise above society's conception of beauty and know that they are beautiful beings no matter what. I made this piece as a means of teaching that lesson to them, as well as a visual reminder to myself. (I have and continue to struggle with positive body image.) 

The quote that is weaved throughout is a powerful one from Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us, or we find it not.

As you and your loved ones embark on new adventures, I hope that you too carry the beautiful with you. In your heart.

20 comments:

Jamie Dougherty (jaylynn) said...

This is gorgeous!! Beautiful piece :D Hugs Jamie

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

U are sooooooooooooooooo amazing Bethany!! loveeeeeeeeeee that U made this for them!!! And tooooo top it all off...IT IS GORGEOUS! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Natalie Elphinstone said...

Wow!! What a fabulous project - both in design and intent. Love this.... every piece :-)

Jocelyn said...

OH I LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I truly LOVE!

This is just perfect...you are one amazing ARTIST!!!

Have a great day!!!

Aunt Marilyn said...

Bee-a-u-ti-ful,Beth! One of my favorite things you've ever done! What a treasured keepsake for you and your precious girls!! I love the verse as well...gonna copy that one down!! Give hugs and kisses to everyone!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous work!! You never cease to amaze me! I've been loving your freestyle look.

Casey Wright said...

What an adorable project - I just LOVE IT! What an amazing keepsake!

Mandy said...

this is one of the most beautiful things i have seen....wow...xxx

Love My Tapes said...

Oh Bethany this is just stunning!!!

Jessy Christopher said...

B, I really love the story behind this beautiful piece you created!! So special & unique. Truly an artist's work :)

McMGrad89 said...

Beautiful work and beautiful sentiment.

Thanks for stopping by!

Amy said...

Bethany this is beautiful. And it and it is a wonderful message to share. I love that quote from Emerson and now I want to use it! Just stunning! Oh, and thank you so much for popping over to my blog and leaving me some love!

Stacy Cohen said...

I love this, Bethany! It's fantastic! And I so agree with your sentiments and concern for your daughters. I try to impart the same message to my girls.

Deana said...

Such a beautiful quote & a beautiful creation! Such an important lesson to teach to young girls, too. You are just TOO talented! :-)

Haberdawoman said...

Simply beautiful!!!!!!
You never cease to amage me!
What a wonderful message for your girls.
Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog : )

Unknown said...

How cute are those???!! I love them.

Stacy said...

WOw! I just love this project Bethany! So many touching little details! Just gorgeous!!!

Taryn said...

I have to tell you, Bethany, I just LOVE the direction your work is going in. I love your drawings, and the mesaage in this piece is so heartfelt. Beautiful

Jen @ By Jen ❤️ said...

I LOVE this!!!

Kristi Wodek said...

Wow. You address concerns that many of us have. The quote is dynamic and will definitely carry it and pass it on. THANKS for the beautiful inspiration!