Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Dream Big

As I perused the latest Stampington email, I came across an advertisement for the next GreenCraft.


The cover caught my eye because...I...well...recognized the artwork. The french fry boxes turned into bulletin board pockets was a project that I submitted about 100 years ago. I hadn't heard anything about them until June of this year when I was told that they would be appearing in the next issue of GreenCraft. I had absolutely no idea, however, that they would grace the cover! None. A complete and utter shock.

Of course, I gasped and screamed with excitement. I mean...who wouldn't? Being on the cover of a magazine wasn't something I deemed possible in my lifetime. Yes, I've set certain artistic goals and one by one I've reached them, but being a cover girl wasn't one of those goals. Seriously, only really talented people (true artists) get to do that, right? Not people like me without any formal art training who basically flunked art class in elementary school, who never considered themselves at all artistic until a few years ago, someone with kids, and problems and insecurities and...and...and...I am humbled and grateful.

This experience made me realize that oftentimes we set subconscious limits on ourselves. We don't even dare dream big. Oh, we think we do. We set certain goals, totally ignoring loftier ones because they seem way too far outside our little box. I have to wonder how many times I've done this. How many times have I evaluated my talent, my abilities and decided that I can realistically go so far, but I didn't even imagine that I could extend past that. How many times have I been afraid to even allow myself to dream big? Thomas Edison stated once: "If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." Well, I'm astounded.


And I'm grateful, as I previously stated, that there is someone bigger than me out there. With bigger plans than my tiny brain can even comprehend. And that once in a while He opens the curtain just a little crack and allows me to see myself as He sees me. Thank you.

May all of you have this experience whether it be by gracing the cover of a magazine. Or by curing cancer. Or by solving a community problem. Or by caring for a sick parent. Or by loving the unlovable. Or by beating that terrible disease. Or by learning something hard. We are all capable of greater things than we know. And that, I now know to be true.

Don't be afraid to dream big. 

xoxo
Bethany

14 comments:

papertrails leaver said...

Wahoo! A big congrats to you! Cover girl is a prestigious title. Enjoy andpn I am going to see if I can find one of these mags for myself to view.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! YOU GO GIRL!!! That is amazing!!! And I know you...and I knowwwwwwwwwwwwwww that you are a TRUE ARTIST!!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Kendra@My Insanity said...

Congratulations! That is fantastic! Cool idea, too!

Peggy said...

Congratulations Bethany! Please don't ever doubt your abilities and keep dreaming big!
xxx Peggy

Anonymous said...

Huge congrats covergirl!!That is so awesome...and you ARE really a very talented true artist!But I love it that even true artists like you are so happy and excited and overwhlemed to be on a cover!!
Thanks for sharing and that idea is fantastic!!Enjoy!!

Lillian Child said...

WOW - how much fun is that?!?! I can only imagine the look on your face when you saw your art work on the COVER no less! Way to go, Bethany!

Deana said...

Absolutely adorable project, Bethany! CONGRATS on the cover! You SO DESERVE IT! :-)

Jocelyn said...

Congrats....how awesome is this!!!! I am so very Happy for you!!!

Jen @ By Jen ❤️ said...

Congratulations! How very exciting! What a beautiful cover and wonderful project.

Unknown said...

CONGRATULATIONS! And, I'm not surprised at all...you are VERY talented!

Becky said...

You deserve this and all the other good things that come your way! I can testify that you underestimate your awesomeness..

Congratulations!!!

Beverley Baird said...

Congratulations! Love your project and your message!

Juliana Michaels 17turtles said...

Super BIG HUGS Bethany! This post just made me smile for so many reasons!

Congrats on your pub! You are so inspiring and amazingly talented!!!

Marit said...

Congrats, congrats!!!!!

Your words are so true... don't we all feel this most of the time? As a reminder, I have a quote by Donald Trump (yes, really...) hanging at my desk: "If you are going to think anyway, you might as wel THINK BIG!"

Kinda scary - I know - but it helps me a lot!