Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Cutting, Pining, and Sewing

The past few weeks I've begun sewing dresses for my brother's wedding in September. As you may remember, I'm making all 3 girls' dresses as well as my own. An enormous task. I'm not so nervous about the girls' dresses, but my own...I'm so nervous about sewing for myself that I'm practically paralyzed.

Here's the pattern. (I'm making the one pictured on the very right.) It was quite the feat to find a formal maternity pattern, let me tell you! (I ended up getting it directly from the Vogue source. I feel so important.) Apparently women either don't sew when they are 8 months preggo or they simply don't go anywhere of grand import. I'm not sure.
It doesn't help that the fabric that I chose is so amazingly gorgeous, I almost had a conniption when I cut it today. Here's the fabric for the dress part.

 
And this is the jacket that goes over it.


I know! Beautiful! I found both at Vogue Fabrics which is a wonderful resource for really gorgeous (kinda expensive) fabrics. (In case you are in the market.) I spent more on these fabrics than I've ever spent in my entire life. No, I don't regret my purchase, but it does put a certain pressure on my sewing quality. Plus, the fact that I don't have a back-up plan (besides some sort of floral mu-mu or those awesome grey sweats) really heaps on that pressure.

Whew...can you just feel the stress people? (giggle...)

Back to cutting. And pining and sewing.

9 comments:

FamilyKolbaba said...

Keep at it, Beth, you are going to ROCK this dress. Everyone will be jealous of your beauty, and I mean that.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that fabric and the pattern are GORGEOUS!! LOVE IT!!! You are gonna look amazing! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Marit said...

I went to a "seamstress" school for 3 years (yep, got the diploma) - long time ago but I still recognize beautiful (expensive) fabric - even on a picture! I must say, whatever you payed, it's worth it! WOWZAH!!! I remember the feeling when you make the first cut... eeeck! Your dress is going to be awesome, I'm sure of it! Please, please make photos when you wear it!!

Mandy said...

wow...cannot wait to see this beauty finished...gor-gee-ous...xxx

Unknown said...

Looks gorgeous...can't wait to see the finished dress!

Jessica said...

Beth, that fabric is gorgeous!!! I know that you will do a fabulous job and look stunning, too :)

joan said...

The pattern and fabrics are absolutely perfect. You will be the Belle of the Ball. Seriously, you have made a perfect choice. Just remember: slow and steady wins the sewing race. You'll do fine. JAMK

Peggy said...

Oh I can't wait to see the finished dresses ... make sure to post some pics okay! I'm sure you all will look gorgeous!
Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog Bethany... it always surprises me that even people I so look up to (like you!) have received negative comments at a certain time... it is beyond me! Still, it is a relief to hear I'm not the only one who gets affected by these kinds of comments, as I really hate myself for letting them bring me down! I really don't like this woman having this kind of power over me. I hope that one day soon I'll be able to laugh about it as well. Your words (and those of other kind ladies in blogland) have really helped me to put things in perspective... thank you!
xxx Peggy

Weaveron Textile said...

Nice one.. Creative sew.. This fabric is very smooth and idea is brilliant.
to get fabric on demand from weaveron textile.