Monday, October 19, 2009

Wings to Fly

Last week, I had an extremely very-close deadline. I'm talking about getting the product at 2 PM and having to turn something in by that evening. Since I only have 1-2 hours to create during the day (naptime). This made for a very tight time. I'm very proud to say, that the following layout took exactly 2 hours from start to finish (including 3 child interruptions, 2 phone interruptions, picture taking, picture processing and emailing it into The Scrap Review along with my review.) That, I must say, is a miracle. You can read the review here.


The challenge of creating on such a tight deadline and succeeding in such an endeavor was really good for me. It has given me artistic confidence. I learned a few things about myself along the way.

1. I can work really fast and still create a very detailed project. (Totally surprised me!)
2. I love embellishments. Give me one piece of paper and 10 embellies and I'm happy.
3. I love bright colors and natural themes. Butterflies, flowers and birds are totally my thing.
4. Circles. Wow. I love circles. (I knew this before.)
5. Sewing adds that special touch. (I knew this before too.)

Here's a close-up of one of my embellie clusters. To age the picture, I applied a vintage action that I purchased here. (Mindy was fantastic. I had serious issues installing the actions and she held my hand every step of the way. I will buy more from her.)


My titlework and sewing work. Oh and misting too. I love misting. (I think I've said that before.)


Materials: GCD papers, embellishments, cardstock; vintage lace and buttons, DMC floss, mists were my own recipe, Bazzil cardstock.

Lately I've been pondering a lot about my artistic path. Wondering where I want to go. Thinking about the paths that lie before me. Which one to choose? I'm learning so much about myself through these daily thoughts. I'm learning what I like and what I don't like. Giving myself permission to be okay with not liking things. I used to think that if I had trouble using a certain product that there was something wrong with me as an artist. I'm realizing now that this is simply not true. An artist doesn't have to do every style. She doesn't have to be everything to everyone. She has to find the style or styles that bring her joy and follow her happiness. Perhaps this seems like second nature to you, but for me this is a complete breakthrough.

I just finished LK Ludwig's Nature Journals and it has changed my entire perspective on my creativity. Her techniques are wonderful and so is her art, but what has really inspired me is her wisdom and her calming voice. I'm so incredibly inspired to get to those projects that have been calling me, but that I haven't gotten to yet. I'm inspired to play with my supplies not because I have to for a deadline, but because I want to experiment.

I've hesitated in my creative experimentation because I've feared. A little piece of me is afraid that through playing and experimenting I'll find out that there really isn't anything in me after all. Like I'm not really creative or talented. There is a little third grader in me that is terrified that the art teacher won't like her picture. He'll look at her drawing without saying anything. When she shows it to him, proud of her crow, he'll dismiss her and praise someone else.

I'm afraid of stretching myself. Afraid of risking because I might fail. It is so much easier. So much more comfortable to continue what I'm doing. This thinking, of course is silly. And I know it. But, I wasn't aware of this inner dialogue until just recently. And now that I'm aware of it, I'm ready to change it. Ready to hold that little third-grader's hand, smooth her frizzy hair and her ruffled heart and tell her that Mr. S is dumb and that some artists take longer to bloom than others. Tell her that in fifth-grade she'll draw a clown that will astound her. And in the middle of the night when she is in 7th grade, she'll draw a unicorn that is absolutely perfect. She just needs freedom and kindness and perhaps a little coaxing to be great. Then she and I will clasp our hands tightly and together jump off that scary cliff...

Only to discover that we had wings all along...

10 comments:

Vel said...

Can't believe you did this in two hours...it's great!

ps. I have that inner dialogue too...thanks for sharing your thoughts.

JgWM said...

I think I am going to have to find this book!

Your page is amazing!

Marit said...

I'm so glad I hopped over to your blog this morning... I have the same thoughts and problems and right at this moments am in the same "fase"... thanks for your encouraging words, I needed it and now that you planted them in my head, my wings grew a feather or two...

Ania said...

So well done - amazing result and I would never have guessed you had this tight deadline with this one!! :D

Vivi said...

You have a drop dead gorgeous peice of layout there! TFS

Peggy said...

oh wow, you put your thoughts into words so beautifully, I was really drawn into your story. Good for you Bethany, I'm sure you'll do fine, just create for you and you alone, and you'll create magic, I just know you will!
xxx Peggy

joan said...

I remember that little third grader. Don't lose her completely. She was free and creative and beautiful..

Anonymous said...

Oh wow..you just said it so well!Love your words!Thanks so much for this wisdom!
Love your layout!Very beautiful!

Unknown said...

You know what Bethany-I think DT gigs sap creativity-the need to use product often leads to LOs that are not true to the creator-well for me anyway. So I hear what you are saying-finding yourself is so important!

Jean Franks Beck said...

Okay, first off, I LOVE your layout - gorgeous embellishment, really lovely.

Now....Seriously, you spoke to ME. You didn't mean to, but you did. Afraid to try something new, to take a risk, because I might fail and that would confirm I'm not, and never will be, an artist. Thanks for your words of inspiration - they truly have helped to better my attitude. It's so nice to hear that other artists feel this, too. You are an inspirational artist, on many levels. Thanks for sharing!