Saturday, September 5, 2009

I Found a Part of You

A few months ago, I was straightening the living room when I came across a warrantee card for the organ that resided in my grandparent's home when I was a child. I'm not exactly sure how it ended up on my living room floor. I think that perhaps it was in the piano bench (that was also theirs) that had recently fallen on the floor spilling all of its contents. When I turned the card over, I saw my grandfather's handwriting: all caps, bold and linear. I remember that handwriting from the crosswords that he would complete every morning, from the checks that he would write me for Christmas, from the scraps of paper in his home. It was like finding a part of him right there in my living room. It reminded me that our loved ones are always with us in spirit.

So I did this layout to remember this experience. It is very linear and graphic and yet, still me. I'm sure he would have liked this one.


I placed the card in a little sleeve so that I could remove it if necessary.


My journaling and titlework. The title got lost in the layout until I swiped a bit of white paint behind it.


You can see the dimension from this angle. I cut out a few of the dots from the pattern paper and attached them using popdots.


Materials: Bazzil cardstock; Prismacolor pencils; Sharpie pen; American Crafts thickers; Inkadinkado stamp; white paint; Marks Paper Co pattern paper and diecuts

Boy, do I miss him.

2 comments:

Ann(i)e Hafermann said...

what a cool little keepsake!!!
love the layout...all that dimension is so cool (and what a good idea about the white paint :) )
xoxo
annie

Anonymous said...

nice, masculine lay-out. I very much miss him and Aunt Iz, too!
<3 Susan