Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Look Ma! No Scissors!

I challenged myself a few days ago to make something without using scissors. The rule was that I could not tear or cut any papers or fabrics that I used. I had to use scraps as is. Even if they had the manufacturer strip still attached (as that MM cream with green floral paper did under the book page) I was allowed to cut ribbon if it was too long. (I didn't want to waste an entire roll and I didn't have too many ribbon scraps lying around.) Since I sewed around the edges I was also allowed to snip the threads (otherwise my project would be forever attached to my machine.) I left the threads long to give the entire piece more texture. I like that. By the way, you can sew through cardboard and paper and fabric, but not cardboard and paper and fabric and paper. Just so you know. I'm sure that trivia will come up in at least one small talk conversation...

This is what I came up with.


I only cheated once with the background wrapping paper. I wanted my edge to be tidy and not hanging over the cardboard base. So I cut about 1/2 inch off the top and bottom of my piece. After looking at my completed project, I think that it probably would have been just fine with some overhang. Oh well. Cheaters never prosper.

Here are a few closeups. I think that the colors are more true-to-life in the following pics. I always have trouble photographing stuff with glitter. It seems that the glitter just takes over and everything else is lost in the pic. Anyone else have this problem?


I'd like to you to notice that crowned A. I ran out of grungeboard A's and used a V with a small bird to make the letter. I used to be all nervous about running out of letters, now I just get a little creative with my cutting or additions and everything seems to work out perfectly. This allows me to use all those funky letters or pieces like commas that don't normally get used. Less waste.


As for materials, I used some Basic Grey, MM, and Jenni Bowlin papers. The bird and letters are Ranger Grungeboard glittered with Art Glitter (very fine). The flower and buttons are MM as is that ribbon along the bottom and the white scallop ribbon. The fabric is from a fabric swap. The white swirl is Paper Studio. I embroidered the flowers myself. (I've just discovered this art and I'm totally hooked!) The "leaf" on the flower on the left was actually a mistake. I got a knot in my floss. I decided to leave it because it looked just like a little leaf. Love it when mistakes end up being awesome discoveries!

Now, I challenge you. Can you make something with your scraps without scissors? Since I cheated once, I'll allow you the same. Remember, you can cut threads and ribbons and stuff that is long and you don't want to waste. I'd love to see your creations. Just leave a comment with a link to your blog or gallery.

Have fun! Happy creating!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You have some pretty cool scraps that is all I have to say!

Anonymous said...

Bethany, you amaze me with your creativity, this is so cute. How do you find the time with a new one? Love, Sarah

Becky said...

I'm hoping to finish my creation today :) I started last night and I've had so much fun!

Becky said...

Here it is!

http://beckyscreativespace.blogspot.com/2009/01/porter-family-laws.html

Lucy Edson said...

LOVE this Bethany!!! What a great idea!! Great combination of color and texture!

Elizabeth R. said...

This is amazing! I love all the glitter. And what a great way to use up scraps!

Nan said...

This is so pretty..LOVE the creative use of letters!

Anonymous said...

wow...this is stunning. Love the glitter.

iris said...

This is so beautiful Bethany!! Wow and no scissors huh? Amazing woman!