Monday, June 16, 2008

Summer Reading

The kids have been devouring books this summer and I decided that I too needed to read more so my goal is to finish 10 novels by August 1st. I'll be posting what I read and my impressions in case you too, are looking for some entertainment. I've already finished 2 books. One I found to be average and the other very entertaining. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins isn't an intellectual read, but it is highly entertaining as long as you can tolerate Charles Dickens type English. It took me about 50 pages before I had adapted to the style, but after I did, I was hooked. Wilkie Collins is a friendly contemporary of Charles Dickens so there is a lot of Dickens's influence. If you've read A Tale of Two Cities, you will see some similarities. It was originally published as a series in the late 1800s, I believe. I would highly recommend it if you are looking for a light read that will keep you guessing.

I just checked out Rose Cottage and Thornyhold by Mary Stewart (whom I've never read) and Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression by Mildred Armstrong Kalish thanks to a recommendation by Alicia Paulson. I'll let you know what I think when I've finished them. Happy Reading!

No comments: