Wednesday, April 18, 2012

After the Fair: Whimsical Mixed-Media Artwork

About six months ago, I watched a red balloon disappear into the beautiful blue sky and my heart ached because it was so vast. I longed to take a piece of it to hold. I felt so small looking up. Yet, at the same time, I felt the power and majesty of the world. It was such a special feeling that I longed to recreate it in an artwork.

Of course, my interpretation fails miserably in comparison to the beauty that I witnessed that day. It is impossible to capture the idea of vast, n'est-ce pas? Hopefully, in viewing After the Fair, you will experience a small bit of my feelings.





After the Fair measures 24x18x1 in and is highly textured with molding pastes, tissue paper and other secret ingredients.



The balloons are dimensional and call into question our ideas of 3D and 2D.


The Ferris wheel stands tall in the background...almost beckoning the balloons back to the earth. However, they've been set free. There is no stopping their progress now.



This piece has just been listed in my Etsy Shop, if you are interested in hanging it in your home. It would be lovely in the bright space of a play room, game room or nursery.

I hope that you have time to just lie in the grass and look at the sky this week. Perhaps your heart will ache as mine did and we will share a mutual feeling of awe.

xoxo
Bethany

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful work! I love how dimensional your work is. I'll go add it to my favorites on Etsy.

Mandy said...

Very beautiful....xxx

Dolly B said...

Wow that is very cool

Cheers
Mary

Unknown said...

Beautiful colors and texture. I love that you used "secret ingredients" on this. Very mysterious. :)

Daniele Valois said...

oh, fab fab fab! and you secretive lady you!

:D