Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Getting to Know: Jeni Boisvert

I met Jeni Boisvert online quite a few years ago. We worked together on the Shimmerz Education team. I was immediately attracted to her strong color choices, her ability to create projects completely out-of-the-box and her energetic designs. Later, we connected via phone and I learned that Jeni isn't just a talented artist, she is also a very thoughtful, kind person.


Jeni B. started out a full time designer and scrapbooker. Her designs were all over the internet and she was extremely successful. A few years ago, she decided that designing wasn't her cup of tea, so to speak. She sold all her patterned papers and started her own photography business called JeniB Photography in the Twin Falls, Idaho area. It didn't take long for her to experience great success in this new venture.

I wanted to interview Jeni because she is a great example of a woman who found the courage to change course mid-journey. She "pressed the reset button" (to borrow a phrase from Jana Holstein) and was able to build a new business based on a latent talent. Her story is one that will teach us all about adaptation, courage and hard-work.

BK: Jeni, please introduce yourself.

JB: My name is Jeni Boisvert. I'm from Twin Falls, Idaho.  I played with paper for a few different manufacturers such as Graphic 45, Glitz Design, Shimmerz Paints, and a few others along the way. I no longer scrapbook. I am a full time professional photographer now and I've never looked back except to stay in touch with some amazing friends I was fortunate to meet along the way.  Scrapbooking taught me composition, texture, color, and storytelling in a very unconventional way.  Those skills have been invaluable to me as a photographer. 

BK: You used to be a very serious designer and scrapbooker, then you changed directions completely. You started your own photography business and sold all your scrapbook supplies. What prompted this? How did you make the transition?  
JB: I would love to say that I always wanted to be a photographer but I haven't.  I still don't know what I will be when I grow up.  The transition to photography seemed to be a natural move for me. The more I became involved in the Scrapbook Industry by designing and submitting my work to magazines the more important it was for me to have photos that looked great.  I started to notice that I was racing toward my deadlines more for the joy of photographing my completed projects than the actual process of scrapbooking.  I'm not ashamed to admit that most of my work with paper has been thrown away *gasp*, because I have great photographs of all my work.  I slowly quit my design commitments one by one until after a year I had no more.  I don't think I'm passionate about photography or was ever passionate about scrapbooking....I'm simply passionate about creating.
I started a photography business out of an unexpected need to help support my family.  Otherwise, by choice I would still be a hobbyist photographer.  When you are a hobbyist photographer you can shoot 90% of the time and have fun.  When you are a professional photographer you shoot 10% of the time and run a business the other 90%.  That said, I would not change one single thing that has transpired in the last couple of years nor could I do what I do without the amazing support of my husband and family.

BK: How did you get over the fear of the unknown and gather enough courage to change course? Also, how did/do you deal with naysayers?
JB: Love this question, because I'm a big chicken.  Fear is a very important part of my life.  I wake up fearful every single day.  Two years ago, I made myself a promise that I would do something everyday that scared me, and it was a decision that has dramatically changed my attitude and my life.  Whether it was something as simple as picking up the phone to make a cold call or pretending to know what I was doing in front of a group of clients for the first time.  Even asking for help makes me fearful at times.
I don't think I had courage to change course. I was too naive to know what I was getting into.  That, and having an amazing support team.  Family that supports me and friends and colleagues that push me to do and be better.  When I do things that scare me it empowers me.  When I fail at things that scare me, I learn a lesson.  When I learn a lesson I grow.

The number one way I get motivated is if someone tells me I can't do something, so that's how I've always dealt with naysayers, they are fuel to my fire.  I love naysayers.

BK: Your style of photography is so funky and fresh. How did you develop the concept of fashion infused photography? 
JB: I approach photography like I used to approach my design assignments.  Back then, I attempted adhering things to paper that probably should have never been allowed.  Sometimes it was insanely awesome but usually it went directly into the trash.   I think that approach just transferred over into photography for me.  I am attracted to things that scream bold, bright and funky.  I am an introvert, so a different attitude just seems to come out in my work.  I am inspired by fashion, color and music.  I live in a small town so I love to bring a more commercial and fresh look into my work to try and give my clients a different experience, as well as more variety and fun in their portraits.  ;)

BK: What is your favorite part of owning your own photography business? What are the drawbacks?
JB: There some good things about owning my own business, I love competing against myself to do better everyday.  I am a control freak so it just works for me.  I could never be happy working for someone else.  I've done both and unfortunately I've found that working for myself is the more exhausting of the two.  I've never worked this hard in my life, but I've never been more rewarded in a job than I am everyday in mine and I am truly blessed that I am able to go to work happy, come home tired and be able to provide for my family in a way that I never ever thought I would.  At the end of the day if I fail or something goes wrong, it's no one's fault but mine.

BK: You've been in business for a couple years now. Looking back, do you have any decisions that you regret? Successes that you are proud of?
JB: Yes, yes and yes.  If I could turn back time I would have decided to go into business, not go into photography.  Like most things I do, I've had to learn the hard way how to run a photography business.  My business grew very quickly and I was not prepared for the amount of work I took on.  I am just now learning how to balance my work load so that I can spend more quality time with my family.   I still have a long way to go and I'm not good with the balancing acts but it's getting better.

 I am proud of the small successes that have happened along the way, but I am most proud of being able to move my studio out of my living room into a dream space and location in town.  I am proud that my husband and kids helped make that dream a reality and have worked as hard as I have to create it.  From the moment I had my first paying client I envisioned my ideal studio. To be working in that space we've created, and best of all two years ahead of my goal, still blows my mind.  We still have a long way to go with it, but it's made me truly believe that anything can happen if you set goals and believe that it will.  Sometimes it's as simple as asking for what you want.  One silly regret I have was my decision to delete my long running and information filled paper piecing blog, it would be fun to look back at my horrible photography and disaster designs.  Oh well.  Moving on......

BK: Do you have any advice for other small business owners?  
I am more creative minded than business minded but no matter what industry you are in for your own sanity go into business to go into business.  Don't start a business because you think your hobby is fun.  The first thing you will realize is that your time is worth money, and no one wants to pay for your time so you absolutely have to value yourself and the work that you do.  If you don't value your time, you will be happier keeping what you do as a hobby.  Also, make sure you are set up properly as a business.  Collect and pay sales tax, get a business license and insurance if required.  It's as simple as contacting your Secretary of State or visiting your State Government website to get pointed in the right direction.  I've seen so many creatives that think the rules don't apply to them and it hurts everyone in the end.  

BK: What have been your best marketing tactics?
 JB: By far the best marketing for me is word of mouth, and the new word of mouth in my opinion is Social Media.  When you give clients something to be excited about you can't stop them from telling everyone. 


BK: How do you prepare for a shoot? What do you bring? How do you prepare mentally?
JB: I start preparing for a shoot the moment I meet my client for the first time at their consultation.  I get to see their personality in action for the first time.  Someone's personality plays a big part in the images we create together.  What I bring or even what props I might use vary greatly, again depending on the person.  I don't prepare mentally, I'm very spur of the moment, especially during a photoshoot.  Some of my favorite ideas are my last minutes ideas.

BK: What are some things you wish people going to a photo shoot knew? What makes for a good shoot? How can clients prepare themselves?
JB: I wish people understood that they are not paying for a photographer to press a button they are paying for talent and time.  I would much rather hand over my camera or one of my lenses for free than give up my time.  Time is my most precious asset, because there is never enough of it.  That said, not everyone appreciates that, and that's totally fine with me. That just means they are not the client for me and I'm not the photographer for them.  I feel like it's my job to prepare my client.  All they need to do is bring what I've asked them to and show up ready to have fun!  If I don't direct them during the photoshoot or educate them as to the process of how things work, then I fail.  Not them.  A good experience for my client translates into a good shoot, a good shoot translates into good photos from the session, and that in turn hopefully translates into a good monetary investment on their part.  I don't go to work to have "fun".  I go to work to support my family.   I'm not "lucky" that I love my job.  I choose to love my job.  But, it's still just a "job".   

BK: Do you have any quick advice for people trying to improve their photography skills?
JB: Shoot a lot of images.  Pick one thing to learn about your camera and do it until you know it backwards and forwards. When you can do that one thing without thinking about it, and you can recreate it anytime.......then pick a new thing to learn and repeat that process.
BK: Anything else you would like to add?  
JB: My experience in the scrapbook industry, the amazing designers and business owners I met and looked up to over the years played a huge role in how I approach, design and use composition in my work today.  Thanks so much Bethany for inviting me to hang out on your blog for a bit and the fun trip down memory lane.  xo jeniB
BK: Thank you JeniB for agreeing to be interviewed for Creative Ruminations! Best of luck in all your future endeavors! 

No comments: