Monday, January 31, 2011

New Class: Face Sculpting on Gourds

I'm teaming up with my good friend, Shelley Fletcher, an amazing gourd artist, to teach an all new face sculpting class in Laveen, Arizona on Saturday March 19th from 9-2 PM. In this class, we will be learning how to sculpt a face using paperclay. (Believe me, it is easier than you think!) You can adapt this face into a southwestern style (like Shelley), into a whimsical style (like me) or into your very own style. The possibilities are endless. The background is a gourd shard. (In case you've never worked with gourds before, they are like smooth pumpkins that are dried and lend themselves to beautiful decoration.) Check out some samples here and here.

Your class projects (you'll have the opportunity to make 2 different faces!) will make beautiful medallions, necklaces, pins, or elements for your mixed-media pieces or mini-album covers.

Here are the pics of my class samples.

Little Red Riding Hood.

Goldie Locks.


And, the Sun Also Rises.


And these are the samples that Shelley created.


Isn't that feather work amazing? This is Shelley's third attempt at a face. I'd say she has it down pat. Wouldn't you?



All the details and how to register can be found here.


Come and play along!

xoxo
Bethany

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

These are awesome!!! I am off to check the site out!!!

Wishing you a great one!!!

Stac said...

What a super fun class!!! Again, your work makes me say, "How does she do that?!" You are truly an artist!

Becky said...

I really, really want to do this! I'm checking my calendar right now!!