Monday, October 18, 2010

Le Ballon Rouge

When I was in second grade, we watched the movie, Le ballon rouge, during a snowed-in recess. From that moment, it captured my mind so completely that it has remained my favorite movie for over 25 years.


I'm not sure what exactly captivated me, was it the magical balloon? Was it the ending? (Which is probably the best ending in movie history, by the way.) Was it the message of abundance despite loss? I don't know, but I still think this movie rocks my socks off. (Even though modern-day cinema-goers will probably find it without plot, action and entertainment.) There is something to be said for innocence and love even though it may be considered slow-moving.

So, if you have about 40 minutes, here is the movie divided into 4 parts. And don't worry, it is totally and completely kid-friendly. Although, if you have a sensitive child, she may burst into tears during Part 4. Tell her to keep watching, the ending is worth it. I promise.

Here's Part 1



Part 2



Part 3



Part 4



Recently, I did a little piece to commemorate my love for red balloons. It is pretty simple, but captures the child-like innocence perfectly. Yeah, that's me.



The balloon is raised from the piece, as you can see. I've been experimenting with dimension lately.


Is there anything that captured your mind like this movie did mine so long ago? Do you have un ballon rouge in your life? If so, I'd love to hear about it.

xoxo
Bethany

4 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwwww! This is AMAZING Bethany!!! I loveeeeeee that balloon...and I will have to stop in after work today and watch that movie...I haven't seen it!! And there is one movie (well...maybe not the movie so much as one LINE from the movie) that has touched my heart to this day... I have used the quote from the movie on lo's, and even have it listed on a tab on my blog...its from "Hope Floats" :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Marit said...

I didn't have to watch your little movies 'cause I know this movie! It's a French movie from my childhood and yes, it is moving and gorgeous and lingers in the back of MY mind too!!! Do I have a ballon rouge... I guess so - more then one. I might blog about it too, 'cause it would be too much to comment all here... Oh, and your own ballon rouge piece is adorable! It has that innocent feeling!

Anonymous said...

Bethany, when I was fourteen I read "Pride and Prejudice" my first time. I will never forget the acceleration of my heart beat when Elizabeth turned down Darcy. And then the letter! I love, love this book! This started my lifelong love of reading. By the way, love your cute balloon girl! Best wishes on your upcoming arrival! Love, Sarah

heidi said...

This is just stunning! You are one of my mixed media heroes!!! I can't wait until you are on the class circuit again!!!

Which reminds me...do you happen to remember which magazine of yours I was gushing over? I really want to get my hands on some of those.

And, finally, I remember that movie!!!! We watched it in French class. It's a great movie!!! Thanks for the links!