Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Simple Materials for Great Layouts

It doesn't take a whole lotta expensive supplies to make a great layout. Case in point: So Sad. You can make your own flowers, cut your own copier paper into beautiful designs. (I did this with my Silhouette SD.) and create something like this.

Materials: copier paper; Silhouette SD tree, lace, leaves, bird images; Melissa Frances tinsel; plastic heart ribbon; ric-rack; Shimmerz paints and Spritz; ribbon; Bazzil cardstock; crepe paper; My Mind's Eye pattern paper; Gesso, machine and thread; Maya Road pin and flowers

To make the background, I cut a circle out of junk paper using a plate from the kitchen. I placed that circle on a piece of pattern paper by My Mind's Eye and painted gesso over the exposed areas. I removed the junk paper circle and I spritzed with Shimmerz Spritz in Cotton Candy to make the center (non-painted) area stand out even more. Then I sewed around the circle adding some scallops for interest.

To make the flowers, I followed a tutorial by Danielle Flanders.  If you haven't seen Danielle's work before, you've got to check out her blog. You're going to love her.



The key to the success of this design is grouping various sized of embellishments. When you make an embellishment cluster, don't just stick with one size. Vary them like crazy. Add bits of ribbon. Add bits of tinsel. Add leaves. It isn't hard and it looks really beautiful when you're done. It just takes a bit of fussing. (Which I happen to enjoy immensely.)

Happy Creating!

xoxo
Bethany

14 comments:

Jocelyn said...

STUNNING....love what you did with all the simple materials...

Thanks for that great LINK!!!

Have a wonderful day!!!

Becky said...

Wow--I'm loving the idea of using the circle mask to gesso around, etc.

Gorgeous LO!

BlessedinTexas said...

Love this and all the pink.....makes me wish I had a sill...thanks for sharing layout and tips on how to put it all together!

Hope you had a great Wednesday,
Diana

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh wow Bethany!!! this is GORGEOUS!!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee those adorable photos and love love love love those flowers!!!!!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Shona Cole said...

lovely, what a face!

Mandy said...

very pretty...xxx

tricia said...

This is simply gaw-geous!!! I love the placing the scrap circle on as a mask, looks so beautiful, subtle, but highly effective. The flowers are extremely beautiful and I just love how you explained to people how to make a beautiful cluster. You are so generous with your talent and so smart!

Marit said...

I just looked up the word "fussing" (Dutchie - remember) and now I'm in love with that word! I like fussing, I love fussing and your fussing led to a wonderful layout!!! Have a lovely weekend with or without fussing (can you tell I love my "new word"?)
PS Congrats with the publications!!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful LO Bethany-and congratulations on Somerset Studios too!!

Cris Cunningham said...

I have taken Danielle's classes and have tried these flowers before and believe me, no matter how many times I twist and turn, I could never get them to look as beautiful as yours. This is a priceless layout Bethany! And thanks for the tips on clustering -- always wanted to know how to do that. xoxo

Peggy said...

This is gorgeous Bethany! I was especially interested in your explanation about clustering embellies, something I haven't been able to do succesfully ... ever!
xxx Peggy

Rachel said...

SO STRIKING .. I am so close to getting my silhouette girl .... I am SOLD!

Gorgeous as always sweet girl.... GORGEOUS! :)

Miss ya
R :)

Juliana Michaels 17turtles said...

Fabulous LO Bethany! I love all the extra details you added! And yes Dani is so amazingly talented!!!

iris uy said...

This is amazing Bethany!! Love it!