Wednesday, August 12, 2009

On Thumb-Sucking

My dad is a doctor and during my summers in college I would work in his office as a medical assistant. I would bring the patients back to the room and take their blood pressure, find out what medications they took and what ailed them. One day, I was sitting on the stool talking to an old patient (meaning one who had been seeing him for years, not as in elderly, although that would apply too). Suddenly she exclaimed in a very excited tone, "you are Dr. Kolbaba's daughter aren't you?" I assented, a little embarrassed at such a rush of emotion, and asked her how she knew. She said that it was how I sat in the stool. I guess the placement of my feet was identical to my dad. We both sat with our feet behind us, toes on the floor. (Very hard to explain and not really pertinent to the story.) I found it uncanny that unknowingly, I picked up the same habits. I mean, it's not like I ever watched my dad sit in a stool and if I had I certainly didn't study the way he placed his feet. It was something that was done instinctively. A trait that was passed down via that mysterious DNA sequence.

That's why I get such a kick out of my two children who suck their thumbs. It is an instinctive thing. Passed down via my DNA. Now, I know there are a lot of people who worry about thumb-suckers. They worry about their jaws and teeth getting all screwy and various other emotional dependence issues. I'm not one of them. I sucked my thumb as a child for many years. Perhaps longer than I should have. I sucked it so much that I had a perpetual callous. I continued with that habit until I felt that I was done. Then I quit. Like that.

So I don't worry about my sweet thumb-y kids. When they are done, they will be done. As a mother, this lack-of-thumb-sucking-worry allows me to focus on issues that I feel are of greater import. Like teaching them stuff. Stuff like..manners, and honesty, kindness, and how to read. It also allows me to embrace where they are now as little individuals. I love their little quirky habits. Including those thumbs that, in quiet moments, sneak up to their mouths. In a way, it reminds me of...well...me as a child.

I took this picture of Z last summer in Santa Fe, New Mexico. She was waiting patiently for her turn to ride a horse (hence the hard helmet.) She just looks so sweet and innocent and so utterly unaware of the world around her that every time I see this photo, I fall in love with her again.



Materials:
Bazzil Cardstock, My Little Shoebox pattern paper, Uniball Signo white pen, Sharpie black pen,
My Acrylic Album heart Ranger alcohol inks, Stickles, My Little Shoebox transparencies,
Making Memories brads; staples, 3L adhesive My Little Shoebox letter stickers; DMC floss
Cosmo Cricket ribbon

I titled this layout, Quiet Moment. My journaling can be found on the green strip and it basically states that every time Z has a quiet moment, her thumb goes into her mouth and her fingers twirl her hair.


Here's the little cluster of goodies in the top left corner.



I did this layout for My Little Shoebox with their new Little Lady line. Oh, how I love that line! I love the yellows and all the cute little girls. Oh, and the ladybugs. When I opened my last MLS package, I couldn't wait for my girls to get home from school so I could show them the utter cuteness that was contained therein. They loved the paper and oohed and ahhed for my benefit. Then they asked for a snack. Oh well.

1 comment:

Marit said...

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS, another thumbsucker who twirls her hair while doing it!!! I did until I was 13, then I quit, just like that.... you just wrote ME down again here... love you Beth!