Monday, September 10, 2012

DIY Nap Mat

I know you are probably a little sick of reading about my love of encaustic so I thought that I'd do something totally different today.

Little E, my cute kindergartner comes home each day with tales of nap time. Sometimes they are positive...I found a good spot in the corner and no one talked to me! Sometimes they are negative...The kids kept talking and this one boy kept touching me so I couldn't sleep...sniff...sob! This storytelling started on the first day of school and has become an afternoon post-school ritual. Her fascination with nap time and her need for a resting towel prompted me to do a thorough google search for nap mat patterns. I know how much this 20 minutes means to her and I wanted her to have something that would reminder her of home during this sacred time.

So, if you ever find yourself in need of a great nap mat, look no further. I found a fabulous tutorial along with a downloadable pdf. I liked this particular tutorial because the blanket and pillow are attached to the mat itself so there is nothing to lose. Plus, it all rolls up and there is a handy strap. 

Of course, I modified it a bit since E is slightly taller than most kinders. I ended up making E's mat 25 inches wide and 55 inches long. In turn, I increased the size of the minky blanket to 46x46 inches. I also made the top of the pillow out of minky instead of a pattern fabric. I wanted it to be super soft for her little face.

Here's proof positive that my efforts were not in vain...


Now, I feel like I'm giving my little girl a big hug each day as she rests at school.

I love that kid.

No comments: