Wednesday, August 29, 2012

More Encaustic Experiments

This week, I finally finished a huge project (for me) of creating a series for an article in Somerset Studio. It required 5-6 mixed-media pieces and took me about 2 months to complete. Now, that I'm finished, I've decided to spend the next week experimenting with my encaustics and more specifically my new Purple Cow encaustic craft iron.

I have to admit, there is a serious learning curve when it comes to encaustic art and the mistakes that I make are so frequent that I almost have to laugh. However, each time I attempt a project, I see progress. So, I'm encouraged to continue.

I recently completed two new projects. Swinging in the Trees, an abstract, was created first. Overall, I like it. It measures 11x14 inches and is created on wood covered with plaster.



The circles and border were created with 22 gauge wire embedded into the wax. (This was before I discovered the special writing tip that came with the Purple Cow iron.) Because the wire is thick, the wax needed to be thick to keep it down. This added to the blurry effect which I'm not totally loving. In my opinion, the piece is striking from a distance and sloppy up close.



Sweet Strawberry was completed second using the Purple Cow iron. I love the awesome writing tip that magically draws up the wax and allows you to place it like a pen. It is really amazing. I can't wait to experiment further with this! This piece reminds me of Matisse's work and I'm encouraged to pursue this direction since I've always liked his bright colors and interesting shading. I'm going to need to fiddle around with color mixing wax to achieve the look I'd like. Sweet Strawberry is on the path, but the shading isn't where I'd like it to be.



I love the soft look of this piece. Unfortunately, I worked certain areas too much, but that's all part of the learning curve. Sweet Strawberry is tiny. It measures 3x4 inches and is created on wood.

I've got a couple more little wood panels and I'm going to do more with the fruit theme. Maybe I'll do a little series for my kitchen. I'll share more next week.

Until then...

xoxo
Bethany

No comments: