Wednesday, February 8, 2012

CHA-W 2012: DecoArt Make and Take

This year, I had the honor of designing and teaching a make-and-take project at CHA in Anaheim, California for DecoArt, the maker of Americana paints.



This was my first experience at CHA (The Craft and Hobby Association Trade Show) and it was an amazing experience for me. When I first walked into the convention center, my jaw dropped as I walked past beautiful booth after beautiful booth. The time and creativity in each section was completely overwhelming.


I spotted artists that I "knew" from magazines and online. It was thrilling for me to meet women that I've admired from afar and to learn that they are just as passionate and kind as I had thought. I can't say enough about Nat Kalbach. She is an amazingly warm woman. It was fabulous to make her acquaintance. Interacting with the rest of the DecoArt staff was just as fun. They proved to be warm and amazingly talented and made me feel right at home.

(First photo, Nat Kalbach and I, second photo, Margaret Riley and I.)



Meeting with the editors and staff of Stampington, the makers of the Somerset magazines like Somerset Studio, Somerset Memories, etc, was an inspiring experience. They are not only extrememly talented and intelligent, but they are also very sweet women. I left their presences totally uplifted and ready to create. Just the memory of our lunch makes me smile again.



Interacting with my students as they did the make-and-take was really rewarding. They were creative, bold and kind and the hours flew by as I chatted with them. Of course, at the end of the day I was completely exhausted and I ended up hoarse after day one, but it was worth it. I was especially humbled by the fact that the majority of my students had never done a mixed-media project before. What an honor to introduce them to my favorite art form!


Since I know that not everyone can make it to CHA, I decided that I needed to create a video and downloadable pdf of the project so everyone can have the opportunity to make this fun and easy project. It will take you about 30 minutes as long as you have a hair dryer and the products can all be found in your local craft store. This project is designed for the beginning artist, but even Nat Kalbach, a professional, had fun with it.

I hope that you enjoy creating How Does your Garden Grow?


The downloadable PDF: DecoArt Make and Take Project

The video:



Happy Creating!

xoxo
Bethany

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you got to experience CHA. Your project is lovely and inspiring!

Unknown said...

I wish I would have known you were there. I would have stopped by for your make and take. Maybe next year! I'm happy you had such a great time.

Nathalie Kalbach said...

you are such a sweetheart and so awesome! Loved your make and take- it was so fun to play! Huge hugs and hope I see you in Chicago again :)

Margaret Riley said...

Wow! You rock Lady! Your inspiring personality made us all proud that you were a part of DecoArt and of CHA. My very best to you in every project you create and that all will enjoy your love of creativity to pass on to others. I am honored to have had you in my presence at CHA! Hugs to ya!

Becky said...

Awesome! So glad you got to go. Your artwork continues to grow better and better!

Unknown said...

Wow Bethany-what fun to be at CHA!! It;s great to visit your blog and see what you've been up to!!