Wednesday, January 18, 2012

January Book Reviews

I love to learn new things so I read a lot. A lot. I believe the key to busy-mom-reading is to take advantage of transitional moments and always have your book (or books) with you. I always carry at least one book in my purse. Often another one is waiting in the car. I've got one next to the nightstand and another on the kitchen counter. Waiting for water to boil? Read a few pages. Sitting at the table with children doing homework? Read a chapter. This does require a certain tolerance for interruptions (and some forgiving eaters when you burn the beans because you are in a very exciting spot in your book) which may or may not work for you. Personally, I've become pretty good at handling interruptions. (Except when I'm working on the computer, then I lose it a bit. I'm not ashamed to admit it.)

On to the book reviews...

It has been a long time since my last book review so I divided my list into sections to better serve your needs.

Self-Help

The Gifts of Imperfection: Let go of Who You Think You are Supposed to be and Embrace who You Are by Brene Brown was given to me by a dear friend for Christmas and it opened my eyes to the dangers of perfectionism, people-pleasing and shame. This short book calls into question cultural norms and is a must-read for every woman who struggles with embracing her imperfect self.

Non-Fiction

Unscientific America: How Scientific Illiteracy Threatens our Future by Chris Moony is a call for mainstreaming scientific topics. In a world where science is constantly progressing and technology is pushing open boundaries, the American public is extraordinarily uneducated. Ethical questions and future policy should be discussed in a public forum, however, most Americans remain ignorant (not always due to their own fault). Moony is pushing for governmental reform and equal media time for scientific reporting. In a culture where we discuss ad nauseum what brand jeans the latest celebrity is sporting, but ignore the discovery of planets with possible life, we've got serious issues.

Deadly Persuasion: Why Women and Girls Must Fight the Addictive Power of Advertising by Jean Kilbourne is a difficult read. It took me about a week to get through this one because it is filled with statistics, facts and deep thoughts. This isn't a light book, but it is never boring or tedious. Kilbourne's dry wit and dogged pursuit of information make it fascinating. Even if you don't believe that your life has been affected in any way by the media or advertising, your mind will be completely blown open. You'll never look at another ad the same way again. Nor will you be able to watch another sitcom unaware of the negative messages you are receiving. (I believe this is a positive change.) Basically, this thesis is a call to media literacy and an excellent jumping off point for discussion and action. I wouldn't hesitate to say that every woman and teen should read Deadly Persuasion.

Fiction

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen could be described as grotesque and disturbing. Set in the U.S. during the Great Depression, this novel is a fascinating commentary on the life of rejects and outcasts. From alcoholism to sexual promiscuity to abuse to power to mental illness to loyalty, you can find it all in here. No matter what your station in life, you'll find something to discuss. As a reader, I didn't identify with any of the larger-than-life characters, but I still found myself mesmerized. This is a great book club book.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne is an extremely quick read. Written in the perspective of a very naive 9-year-old German boy at the advent of World War II, you'll be tickled by his vocabulary and his unique way of viewing the world. When you find out that his father is the head of a major concentration camp, you'll be even more drawn in. While reading this novel, I predicted a dismal ending, however I was completely taken aback by the Picoult-like twist. I really liked this one.

Mixed-Media Techniques

Surface Treatment Workshop: Explore 45 Mixed-Media Techniques by Darlene Olivia McElroy and Sandra Duran Wilson is a fabulous book for artists who love interesting backgrounds. It is filled with techniques and creative methods. I was so inspired by this book that I plan on working alongside the authors in my art journal so I can practice and experiment with each new idea. This is a must-read for all mixed-media artists and scrapbookers looking to expand their horizons.

Plaster Studio: Mixed-Media Technique for Painting, Casting and Carving by Stephanie Lee and Judy Wise is right up my alley. I love exploring three dimensions on a two dimensional surface and this book is filled with ideas and techniques for my obsession. I was initially drawn to this book because I took Judy Wise's online Encaustic class and became a fan of her down-to-earth, intelligent and creative teaching style. This book does not disappoint. This is another book that I will follow page by page to improve my art.

Acrylic Revolution: New Tricks and Techniques for Working with the World's Most Versatile Medium  by Nancy Reyner was a big surprise to me. I've read and digested Patti Brady's Rethinking Acrylic: Radical Solutions for Exploiting the World's Most Versatile Medium so I figured this was pretty much the same thing. I couldn't have been more wrong. I see Reyner and Brady's books working in tandem. Where Brady leaves off Reyner picks up. Whatever Reyner omits, Brady includes. They are both wonderful resources for any acrylic artist. I was so inspired by Reyner that I'm currently developing online and local classes on acrylic paint.

Currently In My Purse/On the Nightstand/In the Car

I'm currently got the following books in my purse (either in the state of reading or waiting to be opened): I Thought it was Just Me (but it isn't): Telling the Truth about Perfectionism, Inadequacy and Power by Brene Brown, So Sexy So Soon: The New Sexualized Childhood and What Parents Can Do to Protect Their Kids by Diane E Levin and Jean Kilbourne, A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, MOM, Incorporated: A Guide to Business and Baby by Aliza Sherman and Danielle Elliott Smith and The Dance of Anger: A Woman's Guide to Changing the Patterns of Intimate Relationships by Harriet Lerner.
 

Have you read any of the books I briefly discussed? What did you think?

xoxo
Bethany

2 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Great reviews Bethany!! I loved Water for Elephants! :):):):):):):):):):):):)

Becky said...

I haven't read any of those but many of them sound interesting. I have thought more than once about reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns" but have never gotten around to it. I look forward to hearing your opinion on it when you finish!