Wednesday, January 26, 2011

DecoArt's CHA Booth

Thanks to a little luck, I've been blessed to work a bit with DecoArt, the company that makes Americana paints and various other wonderful products like texture paints and mediums.


They are just entering the mixed-media market and asked me to do a few canvases for their CHA booth. Of course, I jumped at the chance! One huge box filled with wonderful paints, adhesives, glitters and fun and many, many hours later, these 6x6 canvases were finished.

And I must say, I absolutely LOVED every moment of their creation. LOVED.

The theme was Sweet Shoppe and the colors were aqua, yellow, and pink. Fun, fun colors. Fun, fun products. If you are looking for an inexpensive acrylic that is very high quality, pick up some Americana paints. (You can find them at Hobby Lobby, Michaels and Joanns.) I was very impressed with the pigment load, texture and overall performance of these paints. And don't get me started on the textures and mediums. I could go on, and on, and on... Let's just say that the more I experimented, the more I played, the deeper in love I fell.

My first project is Bubble Gum Girl. Originally, she was going to be Lollipop Girl, but the stripes on the lollipop eluded me. (I ended up using my first attempt as a paint tray. It made an excellent paint tray, but a lousy lollipop.)




Bubblegum Girl
DecoArt Products: Americana Paints (Bahama Blue, Snow (Titanium) White, Bubblegum Pink, Rich Expresso Metallics, Flesh Tone, Lamp (Ebony) Black), Glamour Dust Glitter (Crystal), Americana Decoupage Glue (gloss), Americana Glazing Medium, Americana Gesso

Other Products: Colored Pencils, Charcoal pencil, Paperclay, watercolor paper

Next up is Gumball Machine. (I know, I was pretty clever when it came to naming these pieces.)



Gumball Machine
DecoArt Products: Americana Paints (Bahama Blue, Shimmering Silver Metallics, Snow (Titanium) White, Cherry Red, Bubblegum Pink, Purple Cow, Lemon Yellow, Lamp (Ebony) Black), Glamour Dust Paint (Sizzling Red), Glamour Dust Glitter (Crystal), Americana Decoupage Glue (gloss),

Other Products: Paperclay, watercolor paper, Charcoal pencil, black pen

My favorite is Sweet Shoppe. There are many more details in this one that don't show in my pictures. For example, there is a glossy-glassy medium over the window to make it appear more window-y. Wish that showed up more.







  
Sweet Shoppe
DecoArt Products: Americana Paints (Bahama Blue, Snow (Titanium) White, Bubblegum Pink, Rich Expresso Metallics, Lemon Yellow), Glamour Dust Paint (Sizzling Red, Ice Crystal, Turquoise Sparkle, Lemon Drop), Americana Glazing Medium, Texture Glass (on the window), Americana Gesso, Americana Thickening Medium (on the curtains)

Other Products: Black pen, Charcoal pencil, text from an old book, button

Birthday Cake is a simpler variation on my larger Wedding Cake piece that I did for Buell Children's Museum.


 
Birthday Cake
 DecoArt Products: Americana Paints (Bahama Blue, Snow (Titanium) White, Bubblegum Pink, Lemon Yellow), Americana Gesso, Texture Crackle, Texture Thick, Americana Decoupage Glue (matte)

Other Products: string, tissue paper, watercolor paper, charcoal pencil, chipboard star, stamp, StazOn ink


My next piece, Eat Dessert First was a quicky, but I enjoyed adding the doodles and experimenting with the Americana Glazing medium.

Eat Dessert First
 DecoArt Products: Americana Paints (Bahama Blue, Snow (Titanium) White, Bubblegum Pink, Purple Cow, Lemon Yellow, Lamp (Ebony) Black), Americana Gesso, Americana Glazing Medium

Other Products: black pen 

Finally, my last piece. Cupcake. Molding the paperclay into a cupcake was somewhat tricky, but I triumphed in the end. (evil laugh...rubbing hands together...)

 
Cupcake
DecoArt Products: Americana Paints (Bubblegum Pink, Snow (Titanium) White, Cherry Red Medieval Gold Metallics), Americana Glazing Medium, Americana Gesso, Glistening Snow-Tex, Americana Decoupage Glue (matte)

Other Products: Paperclay, wire, pencil, stamp, StazOn ink, Distress ink, text, sticker letters

If you are going to CHA this winter, make sure to stop by booth #1337 to see them in person. Unfortunately, I won't be there so make sure to take a bunch of pics and send them to me so I can live vicariously. hahaha.

xoxo
Bethany

4 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! These are AMAZING Bethany!! WOW WOW WOW!! I will go to their booth for you and gets TONS-O-PICS! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Marit said...

Wow, you did a great job with the stuff! LOVE the bubblegum girl (and love all your titles!!!) Have fun at CHA!!!

Ann Marie said...

Oh that cake and the cupcake!!! Gotta say, it also makes me want to get a gumball on the way to work. Great work Bethany!

Daniele Valois said...

These are way too cute!!!