Monday, July 12, 2010

Birds Galore

In September and October, I'll be teaching 3 sculpting classes using paperclay at Scrapbooks Etc. in Mesa, AZ. Because of those exciting events, I've been fiddling around with paperclay projects this past week and loving every minute.

One of my classes is a little teaser so I'll only have 15 minutes to complete the entire project and I have to prepare for 50 students. A daunting task when one is working with clay that needs at least an hour to dry. So I've been experimenting with simple projects that I can prep beforehand without too much hassle. I figure that the students will only have enough time to paint, distress and glitter. (If that!) My first project, Little Dancing Red Bird is a prototype.



I like Red Bird, but I don't love him. He needed a few tweaks here and there to become the project that I envisioned. Plus, making 50 of him with those sculpted wings would make me absolutely crazy. Too much prep!

And so, Blue Bird was born. In my opinion, he is a masterpiece of cuteness and simplicity in preparation.



I adore him. From his cute fluffy wings to his big beak. Who wouldn't want this guy perched in their house?

He is a little bigger than the one that my students will be painting, but the overall shape will be the same.

The kids all love him too. However, there remains a very hot debate over googly eyes versus black eyes. The children prefer the googles (of Red Bird). I'm leaning toward the black eyes (of Blue Bird). I seriously need your opinion, though. Google eyes or black eyes? What do you prefer?

8 comments:

Peggy said...

Hihi, such a fun question! I'd have to say ... black eyes! And you're right, blue bird is adorable!!
xxx Peggy

heidi said...

definitely black eyes all the way! i'm so excited...i'm not taking your clay class but i'm all signed up for your star technique book class! can't wait!!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhh these are cute...i'm with peggy and heidi...loving the black eyes! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Unknown said...

Black eyes on the blue bird looks great! I think he's adorable!!

Marit said...

I prefer the black eyes of blue bird, but I do like red bird better... the fact that he (she?) is dancing and the way the wings are constructed... I ADORE the red bird! (but the blue bird is super cute too, no doubt about it, and I can see how the red bird is too much work..)

Juliana Michaels 17turtles said...

This is so adorable! What a fun class this would be to take!!!

Becky said...

Oh my goodness! Those are sooo cute!

I definitely prefer the black eyes, btw. :)

RoseC said...

The many feathers of the blue bird create so much movement that google eyes would be too much. The red bird, however, isn't so full and the google eyes are perfect for it. Hey, you asked . . . LOL!!!