Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Spring Robin

Here's my second entry for the Spring Green contest at SIStv. I love how it turned out.

The background chipboard is the front of a Ritz cracker box that I cut up. I put a piece of Bazzil black cardstock on the back just to frame it more.


Journaling: The first robin announces SPRING. Oh what a joyous time! Walking barefoot on the dewy grass, the smell of flowers.

I used MM paint, old dictionary page, gesso, Daisy D's paper, Bazzil cardstock, Distress ink, StazOn ink, BG stamps, AC pen, Scenic Route chipboard as a mask for my robin, Golden Pumice gel for the robin's texture. I also used colored pencils.

Here's a close-up of my flowers. I won't tell you how I did them here. I'm saving that cool technique for something amazing coming up in the very near future. (rubbing hands together...)


I used Golden Pumice Gel to do the bird because I wanted her to have some texture. Then after it had dried overnight, I painted her: first with gesso, then with off-white, then red (for the breast) then with light brown, then with a darker brown. I wanted her to look like a real bird with bits of colors peeking out. I'm not sure if I was totally successful, but this is the first time I've ever painted a bird.


Don't look too close at the dictionary page that I used on this project. I wasn't paying attention to the page when I tore it out and I happened to choose the first page in the I section. If you look closely, you'll see that just below the branch, idiot and idiotic are defined. This is not supposed to be some secret message or social commentary. I just wasn't paying attention. It does add a bit of humor, however, and that I appreciate.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is spectacular, Beth. Funny, I just started to plan a page with Robins. They have arrived to the far north. I love that. The pumice stone stuff looks really good. Does the paint sink in a lot? See you soon - The Gimp II

Lucy Edson said...

FABULOUS!!! I love all of the textures and details! Good luck on the contest! :)

Becky said...

I am chuckling at your dictionary selection and at your mother signing herself as "The Gimp II" (I'm assuming that's your mom...).

Like I said on SiSTV...love this picture! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Yes-I am also a fan! Did you outline the flowers in brown?

I've been trying that as I found black is too stark of a contrast in many cases. Sometimes a gray/charcoal outline works better I think, too.
Susan

JgWM said...

This is beautiful, I love the dictionary page ( tell them it is a message in code). I like the golden pumice. The colors really stand out.