Thursday, August 14, 2008

Shoes, Shoes and More Shoes

With 3-4 pairs of shoes per child and 4 children, the shoe situation in our house is a little chaotic. I think that Z is always looking for a pair.

That is, until I invented a new shoe organization system. I bought cheap plastic bins at Target, took some Luxe pre-cut cardstock letters, glue and packing tape and made these cuties. They make me happy just looking at them.


What I did was glue the cardstock letters onto the plastic using PVA glue. (I bet something like Elmer's would also work.) When doing this, make sure that you lay out your name beforehand so that you can find the center letter(s). Start gluing with the center letter(s) and work out from there. That way, your name is centered. You can see that I was a little off on Cam's tote and Lyssie's tote so I simply added some dots to center the name better. No biggie.

Once the glue was dry, I "laminated" the names using packing tape to protect them from all sorts of childhood mischief mainly picking fingers.

These totes are currently lined up in the garage under the backpack hanging area. Each child is responsible for putting their shoes in their tote. So far (it has been about 4 days) it is working well. Partly because I know exactly which child isn't following directions immediately. Even E (19 months) has become amazingly neat and tidy.

Hope this provides you with a bit of inspiration! Have a great day!

4 comments:

Jackie Plank said...

Such a neat creative idea!

Kataroo said...

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!!!! I need more children to have more bins!! LOL )

Becky said...

you are brilliant!

Anonymous said...

Excellent idea. With just two, though, I don't have the shoe problem. You're getting that "keeping it clean and organized" thing under control in your new place, huh!?!