Monday, August 18, 2008

Forever Boy

I did this layout for a challenge on Scrapping the Music. My mom took these pictures of C last year while he threw rocks into the water. I love how she captured the rock mid-air.

Materials:
Journaling: One of Cam’s favorite things to do. Throw rocks into the water. 11.07
Pattern paper: Luxe

Ink: Ranger black soot

Pens: micron

Ribbon: Maya Road

Other: Journaling circle: Luxe; title letters: American Crafts; pictures by Joan Kolbaba

Here is a close-up of the title block.


Upon completing this layout, I was dissatisfied and I couldn't figure out why until I compared it to pages that please me. I learned that I need texture and dimension on a layout and this one doesn't have much. I love the colors, the stars and the papers, I just need something bumpy. I also think that I should have used black letters for the title. Black would have tied in the outlined stars and the ribbon more.

No, I'm not going to go back and re-do this one. I'm going to place it in my album and remember it as a learning experience. Even though I'm unhappy with the art part of it, I still captured a special memory in C's life and that is what is really important in the long run, n'est-ce pas?

So here is the moral of my story. If you don't like one of your layouts, compare it to one that you do like. This will help you to learn what you prefer as an artist and will help you to make more deliberate decisions as you work. Happy Creating!

5 comments:

Jackie Plank said...

I like it but you don't need to redo it, just outline the lettering with a black marker.

Becky said...

I like it but I agree that it is different from your usual. Love the bright colors especially--they remind me of C's personality!

I chuckled a little when I read Jackie's comment because that is exactly what I was going to say--"outline the letters"...in fact, that is one of my favorite new tricks that I have been using incessantly--and I learned it from YOU :)

Margaret said...

I have done this several times too I just stare at it and am never happy. I agree put it in the album and move on

Becky said...

I just checked out the Scrapping the Music website and it looks like a great challenge blog. Love the song they are doing this week and I'm hoping to have some time tonight to do a page...are you joining the challenge this week as well?

The Sonboul's said...

SUCH A CUTE LO! I love the colors you used. perfect for a by lo!!!