Friday, September 24, 2010

First Days of School

I recently did a review of My Paper Treehouse kit club on The Scrap Review. I haven't received a scrapbooking kit for ages so it was certainly fun for me.

Because the kiddos just started school, I had some fabulous pics of them sitting on my table begging for attention. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do C's pics because the kit was too girlie, but he won't be neglected for long.

About 100 years ago, I came across the idea to have each child hold up his/her grade equivalent in fingers. I love doing this. The only tricky part (so far) is making a K for kindergarten. I'm sure once we hit the really big numbers, we'll have issues, but that seems so far away that it isn't on my list of worries...yet.

My first layout was inspired by the sketch provided in the kit. I did a little reverse applique with the paper which was new for me. 

Miss Z is now in 2nd grade. Hence the peace sign, baby.

Materials: Echo Park pattern paper and embellishments, fabric, Shimmerz Vibez and Pearlz, Martha Stewart butterfly punch, Ranger Distress ink, Bazzill cardstock

I did a little hand sewing which was also new. The rip was accidental, but I made it purposeful with the addition of a smidge of color and an X.



I certainly had fun with the flowers in the patterned paper. They were perfect for embellishment clusters.


My second layout was much simpler. I felt a little chaotic after the first one. Miss D is a 4th grader. I remember very clearly being in 4th grade myself. How can I possibly have a child this old?

Materials: Echo Park paper and stickers, micron pen, Shimmerz Spritz and Pearlz  

Once again, I enjoyed those flowers.



My last layout was just plain fun.

Materials: Echo Park papers and embellishments, Prima flowers, micron pen, ribbon, embellishments from My Paper Treehouse kit, Ranger Distress ink, Shimmerz Vibez  

My title was inspired by Lyssie's yarn E.



I did some serious embellishing on this project.



I'm sure you've spotted the Shimmerz background sprays too.



School has been going very well for all of my sweeties and I'm as pleased as punch. We've had bad years in the past and I'm grateful that I've found a school that fits our family goals. So important.

Have a great week!

xoxo
Bethany

5 comments:

Marit said...

Oooohhhh, the way you did "art class" with a thread... marvelous!!!! I love every layout you show, they all have a special feeling to it! And yes, there is a point where you remember the things clearly and can't imagine your own child is the same age now... it's fun and also makes you melancholic, isn't it?! HOpe you and the tiny little one are doing OK?!! Enjoy your weekend!

Jocelyn said...

Love these.....what great pic and what a great idea!!! Love all the details on each one!!

Wishing you a great weekend!!!

RoseC said...

Each layout is special and fun and makes a very cool school days remembrance. I especially love the yarn art title. I may have to give that a try. Thanks for sharing.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh I loveeeeeee all of these Bethany!! WOW WOW WOW!!! Soooooooooooooo inspiring!!! I am gonna try that yarn title! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

erin said...

these are awesome!